Saturday, November 14, 2009

In Need of an Update

I've stayed away from the blog for a while. I've been swamped. My classes, the after school activities I take part in, and bronchitis have had me focused on other things. I've also been dealing with feelings of inadequacy.

I've been utilizing a curriculum that South Carolina teachers and leaders created with Janet Allen. It's a great curriculum that utilizes young adult literature and lots of graphic organizers. But I just don't feel like I'm preparing them for their upcoming tests. This is something that weighs on my mind heavily. I know that I'm doing some things that work--like sustained silent reading. We read every day. And we've been flexing our muscles with poetry. But I just don't feel like I'm getting deep enough. It's like I have time to gloss over the top of things, but we aren't really going to the deepest level.

I'm working with my seniors on analysis. They can't analyze for anything. They can summarize. They can gloss over the high points. But they do not analyze. I'm using deep thinking questions and graphic organizers. We are doing several rough drafts. Eventually, they'll be able to participate in writer's conferences and peer assessments. But they are struggling to get to that deeper level.

So it's something that I'm struggling with all day, at all levels. I want to have this dynamic effect. I want to churn out thinkers and doers.

And that is a heavy load to bear.

So I've stayed off my blog for a while; these questions are sitting heavily on my heart. I reassess what I'm doing every day. I think about my pedagogy every minute. I look out at their faces and read my influence constantly. Now if I could just find the answers...

No comments: