Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'm sending them the bill from my colorist...

Today was a hectic day. We are giving out textbooks and that always makes things crazier. Of course the freshmen can't believe how thick the books are and how are they to ever carry it around? Half of them claim that they'll never take it out of their locker.

I was hoping that with this being the second week of school and with there being no more homeroom, things would settle down some. I think I hoped in vain. If nothing else, they were more hyper than usual. Some of that was probably my fault. Looking back, I made some first year teacher mistakes today.

Second period was particularly annoying. I am trying to train them in protocols to help with peer editing. I didn't have their groups ready. Did I say earlier that we only got through half of the activities in first period because of textbooks? I apparently wasn't ready. They formed their own groups and it will be the last time that it happens. During third period, I formed the groups and things went a lot smoother. See? First year teaching mistake.

I'm also back to planning day to day. This doesn't make my days easier. Planning from the end of the unit sounds good, but it is hard! I don't even know where we'll be on Friday, much less where we'll be in a month! I need time, but there is still only 24 hours in the day. For the 14 hours that I am NOT in school, I'm pretty exhausted. Is it Labor Day yet?

No comments: