Sunday, August 09, 2009

Back to school!

August is here and that can only mean the start of a new school year! As for me, I'm shaking in my metaphorical boots (cute, ankle boots from Target that are on the way as we speak). I have been out of the classroom for 3 years and this will be my foray back into it. I'm making big plans, of course. I bought 4 cute summer tops to wear with my dress slacks this afternoon. It's tax-free weekend and they were $9.99 a piece! Can't beat that.

In addition to that, I'm working on syllabi and trying to remember what the first day looks like from the podium. Two of my classes should be no problem--Teacher Cadet and English IV. However, it's those three classes of 9th grade English that are a little daunting. I haven't taught English I in seven years and it has changed a lot since then. I have changed a lot since then. Through my experiences as a literacy coach, I'm not the same teacher I was when I left the classroom. Now comes the time to marry the coach I am to the teacher I was. Now is the time to find the happy medium between that ideal situation in an English class to the more realistic situation that occurs. Basically it is time to put my money where my mouth is.

So tomorrow I head back to the classroom. Have to unpack and clean and rearrange. Have to start planning. Check in on me often. In the past I used this blog as a place for my students to comment on classes and projects. This year, I think I'll use this as my own personal sounding board. Let the games begin!

No comments: