Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Role of Text Features in a Student's Success

I did a "mini" lesson (read one hour here--a little longer than expected) this week on the text features in a physical science book. I've done a mini-lesson on text features before, but felt like it fell flat and was not well-received. So I spent a great deal of time preparing for this one, trying to figure out how to make sure it wasn't just busy work; trying to figure out how to make analyzing text features interesting to tenth grade students.

I learned something interesting in the midst of poring over the physical science textbook. (We use Glenceo, FYI.) I found 13 different types of text within on chapter. Thirteen! I couldn't believe all the different types of text that students are expected to read, and are practically bombarded with as they move through the book. I'm not convinced that the average high school quite knows how to decipher all that he/she sees on the pages.

That, of course, was the purpose of my little lesson. We jigsawed the different parts of the chapter--sidebars/pull boxes; pictures/graphics; typography/color; organization/navigation; and how to prepare for a test. Students were engaged and willing to share what they learned. We called attention to parts of the text that they probably had not paid any attention to before. Hopefully, as their teacher moves them through the text, she can remind them of what they learned when they jigsawed the chapter and students will become more independent with their books.

No comments: