Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Little YA Worthy of Attention



I'm constantly looking for good books for some of my Hispanic students--girls, especially. So I was excited to see Haters by Alisa Valdes-Rodriquez.

Rodriquez is the author of Dirty Girls Social Club, a piece of chick-lit about 6 Latina women who have remained friends despite different complications and triumphs throughout their 20s. I enjoyed DGSC for the relatively easy read that it was and I looked forward to Haters. It didn't disappoint--I think I enjoyed it more!


Haters has several stories--father-daughter drama, new kid in school, the quest for popularity, and boy meets girl. The main character and narrator, Paski, is uprooted from her home in Taos, New Mexico when her father, a cartoon artist, moves to LA for work. She ain't in Kansas anymore, that's for sure. She likes the diversity in her new school, but soon learns that the popluar girls all have intense cruelty in common. If it can happen, it seems to happen to Paski. There were several places where I wondered what, if any, storyline would be left out. Regardless, it is a good read and pretty PG rated. I did find myself rooting for Paski and pretty engrossed in her new life in LA. She is a strong role model, too--she is strong and independent and not afraid to embrace her individuality.


Haters is a good girly read for any student, but the Hispanic main character helps with some of our students that often don't have many choices.

No comments: