Thursday, May 29, 2008

What We Say when we Speak to Students

There is a gift that some teachers are born with. The ability to tame the beasts that are this generation of teenagers with a single word. Its uncanny the children that they can reach with their humor, their sarcasm, their love.

Then there are those adults that are just the opposite. They seem to antagonize students with every word that they utter, every grunt that issues from their lips. Although they wouldnever admit to hating teenagers, the disgust drips from the words as they float down the hallway.

I'm lucky. I'm of the former crowd. Students who I never thought I would be able to reach seem to be willing to meet me halfway. I can make wisecracks and joke around and be stern--I'm taken as I am.

I sat in my office this morning and listened as a colleague cajoled a student for going to class, "just ten minutes after the tardy bell." The student was told that going to class was probably a good idea, since this was still school and all. The words are not that hateful and their intentions are not to wound, but they did. They fell on ears that weren't receptive to that sort of conversation. And the student shut down just a little bit more.

When we speak to students, they remember it. We can scar them with what we say, and even what we don't say. They are children, after all. Even though their language doesn't show it and their actions don't show it, they are still children at heart and they can be bruised easily.

I'm not perfect. I cringe sometimes when I'm in a bad mood and hear myself not being so nice. But I try to think about what I'm saying to others before it comes out of my mouth.

No comments: