Monday, May 26, 2008

Great YA Lit!

I really took my time getting around to reading Stephanie Meyer's vampire series. I actually bought a copy of Twilight last spring and it sat, unread and unopened, on my bookshelf until some student came and kept it for herself.

Why did I wait? What was I thinking? I finally experienced Twilight on audiobook earlier this month. It was a long, drawn-out experience and I savored every morsel. I've never had much success with audiobooks, but I found myself looking forward to my morning commute. The book was amazing.

If you haven't checked out this series (starting with Twilight and then followed up by New Moon and Eclipse), its about vampires. Bella Swann, an innocent little junior in high school moves up to Washington to live with her father. There she meets the Cullens, who are a family of vampires. The books chronicle their perils and their growing relationship. Now, probably the most unrealistic part (aside from the vampire thing) but also the most beautifully written part, is the love that grows between Edward Cullen and Bella. It is truly a beautiful thing, but if you know high school juniors, it isn't really realistic.

I'm through with the second in the series now and I have loved every second. Pick up a copy, if you haven't already. I've heard that high school libraries can't keep them on the shelves anymore.

1 comment:

Katy Lawrimore said...

I don't really think that it's fair for you to label the thief as a female. Just because all of the kleptos you know are females, doesn't mean that this particular one was.
I demand a revision! :)