Friday, March 05, 2010

Role Reversal: The Teacher as The Student

I've enrolled myself in another graduate class this spring. I feel like differentiation is my weakness and I'm looking for new ways to improve. So I entered the library yesterday as a student.

I witnessed some disappointing behavior. I learned a long time ago that teachers are the worst students. We do things that we would maim students for. But we go ahead like it's no big deal to talk or text or spend more than half the class on the phone. When I was a literacy coach, I witnessed this behavior from the lecturn, so to speak. It is horrifying. If you ever want to feel belittled as an adult, stand up in front of teachers and try to teach them anything. It is the worst feeling in the world. At least with kids, you can write their behavior off as them just being kids. What is the excuse for adults?

So I have modified my meeting behavior. I may not always be paying attention, but I sure do look like I am! And my cell phone stays in my purse. On vibrate. I don't talk to my neighbor, I make eye contact with the presented, and I interject long silences with comments. It's hard to be the "sage on the stage." We all need some good students to make the job a little easier.

No comments: