Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday, Monday

The daffodils are blooming outside my classroom window. Every now and then the sun peaks out from around the clouds. I can imagine how wondrous the air must feel. Spring is definitely here. But do I get to enjoy it? Of course not.

Spring also means the end of the third nine weeks. All of the grading that I've put off is catching up with me. (Of course I keep up with my grading--this is merely make-up work. What teacher doesn't keep up with her grading?!?!?) Students want their grades and they want them now! I simply want to coast until spring break. I got the fever.

The kids have it, too. They are a little more rambunctious than usual. A little louder. A lot slower. The vocabulary that took us one day to do is being stretched to two and three days. They're working, but it's like pulling teeth. They're on task, but they are stealthily dragging their feet. Like I wouldn't notice. I want to drag my feet, too.

Do they know this? Do they know that teachers get spring fever just as badly as they do? Do they know that we would love a free day?

Don't tell them. It would just be more ammunition.

No comments: