Friday, October 02, 2009

A New Type of Write-Around

I love doing write arounds in class. It's a chance for students to get their thoughts on paper. It's a great quick assessment for me, the teacher. I can check for comprehension. I can check writing skills. I can check for a pulse.

So I tried a new write around today. I gave students a topic and had them start at their desk. Then, instead of having them pass their papers, we passed their bodies. Consider this write around meets musical chairs. Except I didn't take away any chairs. They left their papers on their desk and took only their pencil. I played some music and they roamed the room. Once the music stopped, they had to sit, read, and write.

You would think that having them get up and move would cause chaos. It didn't. They loved it. They jumped in a read what their peers wrote and responded. Some are still getting used to writing under pressure, but others wrote lengthy responses. All in all, huge success. They liked it, and I got my write around done in a new and engaging way!

1 comment:

Ms. Harrell said...

I want to be in there the next time that you do this activity. Sounds awesome and I hate that I missed it.