Sunday, September 13, 2009

Making SSR Work

We have sustained silent reading in my high school, but it is not an ideal situation. We have SSR during our breakfast in the classroom. Right after the announcements. Once we get started, the breakfast comes in. It takes a few minutes to get started again. Just when we are good and settled, it's time to stop. I only have 60 minutes and we can't really give more than ten or fifteen up for reading.

It isn't an ideal situation, but I'm making it work as best I can.

There are two musts to making SSR work with high school students. The first is setting an example as a reader. Most students haven't seen a reader in their home. They don't know what a reader looks like, talks like, or thinks like. It is important for them to see someone who does read.

The other must for SSR is good books. Students will read if they have the right book. They will beg for more time to read. They'll even ask you if you will let them read the whole period. They think they're getting a free day. You'll have to fuss at them for reading during class. It is heaven on earth.

I don't have an ideal situation but it's a situation that I have to make work. I know that only by reading more will students improve their standardized test scores by building comprehension and text stamina. So I'll have to shhh them a lot and be a good example, but it is something that we'll keep doing.

No comments: