Tuesday, November 29, 2005

4th Block Holiday Memoirs

Next Stop: Wonderland

We struggled to stand as we clutched the rail at the top of the T. It was rush hour and we were on our way downtown for shopping and sight-seeing. I wanted to take advantage of everything that Boston had to offer. As we rode, my sister regaled the entire train with tales of her own adventures since moving away from South Carolina. I couldn't help but laugh as she remembered her worst T ride ever.

"I was on my way back from the airport after fall break," she said, her eyes crinkling with laughter. We are so loud when we get together, and I know that we were getting some looks from the other passengers. "I had my huge suitcase all loaded up, because I was bringing back clothes from home. I got on the T during rush hour and there was not a seat to be had. Would you believe it that no one got up to offer me one?"

I reminded her that it was her decision to go to seminary up North instead of at Duke or Emory, but she brushed it off. I can tell by her new haircut and her stylish winter coat and her rosy cheeks that she has found home. Its a mixed feeling for me--I am so glad that she is happy, but I know in my heart that my sister won't be coming back to South Carolina. I know this as well as I know that I am content not leaving South Carolina, and that knowledge weighs heavy on my heart.

She continued to describe how she struggled to get on the train with her suitcase and how she struggled to balance with it.

"Wouldn't you know that the damn train took off and I fell on my butt with my suitcase on top of me?" We howled with the image that this put in our minds, knowing that my sister is not the most graceful creature in the world.

"What in the world did you do?" I gasped, tears just beginning to seep from the corners of my eyes, evidence of the side-splitting laughter her story called for.

"I sat there. In fact, I even said out loud, 'Well, I guess I'll just sit here til the damn thing stops.' And that is just what I did."

"Please tell me someone took pity and helped you up."

"Nope. They barely looked up and no one even cracked a smile. Welcome to Boston!"

I laughed and gave her a loving squeeze. "I would help you up, you know. After, I had horse-laughed you all the way to the next T stop, of course, but I would have helped you up."

She laughed and returned my smirk, matching my raised eyebrows as only a sister can.

No comments: