Wednesday, February 23, 2005

New Book

I read Glamour monthly and they often recommend books to read. Last month, the recommended Smashed--The Story of a Drunken Girlhood. I ordered it online and started it last weekend, when I finished Hating Valentine's Day. Its awesome!

Its an autobiographical look at a drinker. She starts at the age of 14 and its seems as her entire adolescence is defined by drinking. She isn't an alcoholic, but is definitely out of control in several places in the book. Its worth picking up and checking out.

PS--If you respond to this post by saying that this book sounds good and you'll be sure to pick it up, then your post won't be counted towards your monthly quota. Come up with something original, folks!

2 comments:

Dianne Hartness said...

It is good that we have such differing opinions, but I also find it humorous that we often like to point fingers at "all those other people." I finished the book a few minutes ago and it was shocking. Even after the things I overhear in the halls or in the classroom...just today I was privy to a conversation about this past weekend. One of the points in the book was that this girl wasn't an alcoholic. She just liked to party. All the time. And what started as exploration in high school snowballed into something else entirely. It reminds me of a girl in my freshmen dorm at Carolina. She drank. Alot. During the week and on the weekend. She was funny and cool, but most of us has to separate ourselves from her and go back to our rooms to get some work done. She never seemed to work. I saw her again a few years ago here in Columbia. She was snorting cocaine off the back of a toilet in a bar. I guess her partying escalated.

Dianne Hartness said...

Hey Sam...very funny ha ha. :)