Monday, February 07, 2005

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

I read this book over the weekend and it was amazing. The basic plot is this--(as written by Dan Brown himself) A renowned Harvard symbologist is summoned to the Louvre Museum to examine a series of cryptic symbols relating to Da Vinci's work. In decrypting the code, he uncovers the key to one of the greatest mysteries of all time...and becomes a hunted man himself.

I had no idea what to expect from this book when I picked it up. There has been so much fall-out and discussion from the book that I really had no clue what it was that I was reading. And the book jacket didn't do much to settle my questions. All I knew was that people told me that the book would make me question things about my faith. It did indeed bring some thoughts to mind, but in such a way that I never imagined possible. This book is not the complicated read I expected. Its actually on the 6.4 AR level. It is extremely fast-paced and entertaining. I highly recommend checking out the copy that we have here in the library--once I turn it back in, that is. I may read it again before I take it back!

2 comments:

Dianne Hartness said...

The book does have some interesting information about Jesus and Mary Magdalene. Much of this information is up for debate right now.

Dianne Hartness said...

Drew, Dan Brown also wrote Angels and Demons which I also read. I didn't like it as much though. I think that his writing has gotten better as he has sharpened his craft. (And you should start thinking about writing as a craft and look at how authors mature. J.K. Rowling is a perfect example.) But there was some great historical information in both books and that was interesting to me.