Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Website of the Day

I love stumbling upon new websites that inspire me to create new lessons. I found one today. 1000 Awesome Things started when the author was feeling really down and decided to write about an awesome thing every weekday. What an inspiration!

What if we started every Monday writing (and maybe posting!) about an awesome thing? Students would get practice with authentic writing. For a year-end project, students could choose the top ten and piece together a book, complete with illustrations. I'm brilliant!

I think I see it like this...

First week of school--explore the site as a class. Brainstorm awesome things. My own list would include puppy breath, fresh cut grass, wisteria, rain...I'm big on smells...Maggie curled up on her bed, my sister in the pulpit, Fenway Park. I could list things forever!

First Monday--shared writing about one awesome thing. Creation of Wiki and all that entailed with getting students started with it.

Second Monday--partner writing and illustration.

Third Monday--We are rocking and rolling at full steam ahead! We will be writing as individuals on Monday, getting a peer review on Tuesday, and posting to the class wiki by Friday! Woo hoo!

Isn't it amazing how much optimism I have for NEXT year's kids? I know. We are three weeks out from the end of course test and literature circles are my only adventure right now.

BTW...post on literature circles coming soon. Perfect? Nope. But I heard kids talking and asking questions about their books and we haven't officially started yet! Yay!

No comments: