Saturday, January 02, 2010

It's a New Year! Time for a New You!

I've spent a lot of time on the couch this break and it has been wonderful! I believe that it will make me a better teacher and colleague in the coming weeks. I've seen a lot of weight loss commercials the last week or so. Since the new year is here, people are vowing to improve themselves. I'm vowing to improve myself, too.

I resolve to continue to perfect my pedagogy every day. I'm not going to stop trying new things until I find something that works.

I resolve to use my inside voice with my sweet little children. Even when they aren't being so sweet.

I resolve to remember my student's learning styles and personal interests when planning our units. Since I have 50 freshmen, that can be a little difficult. But I resolve to try.

I resolve to stop focusing on these tests so much and just focus on good teaching. If I am a good teacher, surely they will learn the reading skills they need in order to find success on standardized tests.

Finally, I resolve to be on time. Even early. Our school day begins at 7:40. That is SOOOOOO early. If I had thought this out, it is possible this would have been a deterrent to the field of education. 7:40 is really early. My new goal is to leave my house by 6:50 in order to have a few extra minutes to myself before the day starts.

That is easier said than done. If I know me, by the end of the month, I will already have been late at least twice and I will have yelled at least once. Each week. But I know that I will continue to work on my pedagogy. That is what I have set my sights on from the very beginning of the year. It isn't easy coming back into the classroom after three years in coaching. But reflective teaching is something I am committed to. It's a resolution that I can keep.

No comments: