Thursday, January 22, 2009

Like Riding a Bike

As a coach, it's not often that I get put back into classrooms to work my own magic. I'm usually there as a support for the teacher and I like to stay in the background and let his/her magic shine through.

Today, though, I had the rare occassion of being pulled to briefly cover a class. A science class. This might normally be scary for me, but today's science lesson dealt with reading an article and determining pros and cons. And that is something I know a little bit about--reading.

Getting in with the kids and pushing my sleeves up is not assimilar to riding a bike (which I can say since I recently started riding a bike again). If you've got the knack, you've got it. It doesn't get real rusty. You don't forget how to do it. It comes right back to you right away. And that was the way it worked for me today. I enjoyed those kids. I didn't even mind that they were freshmen! I was able to help them find word cues that would guide them towards filling in in their T-chart. And I was really proud of my science teacher for using literacy in her classroom.

No comments: