Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Standardization of Testing

Standardized test time is drawing near--breathing down our necks as we try to cover just a few more standards.

As teachers, we work to create authentic assessments and exciting lessons only to end the year with a bubble-in test that our students sometimes decorate prolifically with little bubble-in Christmas trees. How do we prepare our students for this experience? How can we take the travesty of the Civil War and narrow it down to two multiple choice questions? What are they learning? When will they use these grand test-taking strategies again?

The simple answer to that is that they won't, but in this age of accountability the tests aren't going aywhere. They are here to stay, at least until something better comes along. So we have to help prepare them--without teaching to the test while making lessons exciting and tying it in to what we think students will enjoy learning and use later. What a task!

I'm sitting in an assessment meeting right now, learning all that I can about our standardized tests. One thing that I can buy into one thing that I know will be beneficial. We need to use informational texts and primary documents in our classes.

I've really been trying to use primary documents in the American lit classes. For example, before teacher Sojourner Truth, we looked closely at the 16th amendment and what it allowed and did not allow. These experiences are vital for students. They need to examine real-life documents. One, it makes your entire lesson more authentic and, two, it gives them first-hand experience with history.

Teachers can also incorporate informational texts into lessons by using manual, applications, directions, essays, etc. This one is a little bit harder to mix in, but no less important. Students are going to face informational text for the rest of their lives. A majority of senior citizens do not have the reading skills to understand their prescription medicine bottles. I can't think of a more valuable and life-long lesson.

This is me, giving in to the testing dynasty. I see the value of teaching informational texts. Once I teach them, maybe one of my students can come in and set my sound system clock for me.

No comments: