Monday, August 01, 2005

My Summer Reading

I did a lot of reading over the summer...most for pleasure. What books did you read that you liked or didn't like? Did you read ANYTHING other than your summer reading assignment? Did you even read that?

I read several that I enjoyed and a few that I suffered through. Here's a rundown...

Same Sweet Girls--This book is by Cassandra King, who is married to Pat Conroy. I enjoyed this alot, even though it was about women in there 40s and 50s. This book takes a close look at friendship and the ties that it creates amongst us.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants--Parts 2 and 3--With the movie coming out, I considered re-reading the original, but decided instead to go for the sequels. They were great. I highly recommend these books.

The Mermaid Chair--For anyone who read Sue Monk Kidd's first novel, The Secret Life of Bees, I think you'll see that she has gotten even better with this one. I have to admit...I cried. This book is not so much a young adult novel...it examines the life of a middle-aged woman and her love for a man who is forbidden for unique reasons. It also examines her relationship with her mother and the growth that we go through as we strive to understand those around us.

Those are just a few of the novels that I read over the break. There were many others--Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassen, Harvard Yard by someone who's name I can't remember, Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maguire...the list is lengthy. So if you need book advice, let me know. What did you read over the summer? What are you interested in?

1 comment:

Dianne Hartness said...

Tavaris C--You might be interested in reading Walter Dean Myers's memoir called Bad Boy. They have it in the library. I'm reading it right now, albeit slowly b/e I am reading other things, but its good.